Why is it so difficult to start a successful business? One-third of new businesses fail in the first two years. After four years, two-thirds of entrepreneurs close their doors. According to the Small Business Administration, the three most common reasons start-ups fail are lack of capital, lack of planning, and unrealistic expectations. No one starts a business thinking it will fail. How do you know you and your ideas can beat the odds?
The ISBDC’s Sound and Proven Path Towards Launching Your Own Business Workshop is a first step toward small business ownership success. Every successful business is built on a sound foundation. This online workshop helps students evaluate their business ideas with that end in mind. Prepare yourself to create a sound business plan, manage expectations, and increase your chances of accessing capital.
- Do you possess the characteristics required to start a business?
- Do you have realistic expectations on what it is like to be self-employed?
- What is your current personal financial situation and how much money will your business need to get started?
- Who will buy your products or services and where should you direct your marketing?
- Is starting a business a calculated risk worth taking?
More Than Just A Lecture
This ISBDC workshop is based on the ISBDC A Sound and Proven Path Towards Launching Your Own Business Workbook available at all of our regional offices. A FREE copy of this 60 page step-by-step workbook will be available for all workshop participants. Click here for a sample.
- About The Step-By-Step Business Feasibility Process
- Identify Personal Objectives, Skills, and Resources
- Describe Your Business Idea and Requirements
- Develop A Sales Forecast
- Identify Start-Up Expenses
- Estimate Your 12-Month Operating Budget
- Put It All Together: Evaluate Business Feasibility
- Analyzing Your Results
Three Ways to Learn
- Live Classroom Setting Learning
- The ISBDC’s “A Sound and Proven Path Towards Launching Your Own Business” workshop is instructed across the state. To see if there are any classes coming up in your area, select the “Pre-Business Planning” topic on the statewide training calendar found here.
- Live Online Learning
- Conveniently learn from your computer by attending one of our live online workshops. After registering for an upcoming class, log in and start learning. A complete list of upcoming live online workshops can be found here.
- Recorded Online Learning
- It is always advised to attend a live workshop over an online alternative. Online presentations are no substitute for the one-on-one attention available at each ISBDC live workshop. If the online alternative better suits your needs, remember ISBDC Business Advisors are available to answer any of your questions.
- To purchase this $25 self-pace workshop, select your county and click buy now below.
- Self-Pace Online Option Sample